Sonic Central > Rules Revisions

About Sonic Unleashed PS3/360 night scores...

<< < (5/13) > >>

DBG:

--- Quote from: Minus the Antiporcupine on June 14, 2009, 02:04:35 pm ---You can't get Empire City on the Wii/PS2 version.  Therefore it should be banned.

--- End quote ---

SU360/PS3 and SUWii/PS2 may be different versions with 360/PS3 having an extra area... but the two versions have two separate charts.

Groudon:

--- Quote from: dabestgamer on June 14, 2009, 04:42:21 pm ---
--- Quote from: Minus the Antiporcupine on June 14, 2009, 02:04:35 pm ---You can't get Empire City on the Wii/PS2 version.  Therefore it should be banned.

--- End quote ---

SU360/PS3 and SUWii/PS2 may be different versions with 360/PS3 having an extra area... but the two versions have two separate charts.

--- End quote ---

SUWii is actually a horrible example, since not only does SU360 have an extra area, both versions run on completely different engines.

EngiNerd:

--- Quote from: Minus the Antiporcupine's Profile ---Most Sarcastic Member of the Year

--- End quote ---

I've been waiting for an excuse to use that one.

Parax:

--- Quote from: Thorn on June 14, 2009, 02:26:58 pm ---For a low-strength run, the points earned by low combos is somewhere near the amount of time bonus you're losing not killing enemies faster with a higher strength. In order to really get large amounts of extra points, you *have* to spam something. You have to get a combo of 101 to even earn 1000 points. There's a clear distinction between deliberately going for combo bonuses and getting them accidently.
--- End quote ---

In areas with tons of enemies like WI1-3 you can easily rack up a 200-300 combo even with maxed strength. I wouldn't be surprised if you could hit 1000+ without trying there if you don't have strength leveled at all. You'd still be forced to spam to reach a cap in any case.

Another thing is that considering all the levels vary greatly in terms of length and number of enemies, a cap would have to be on a level-by-level basis.

--- Quote ---Well, we've already begun --  there's a sparse few glitches that work on Sonic & Knuckles Collection and Sonic Jam that don't work in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and said glitches are "unofficially banned" (note: this isn't what the "functional changes to level layout" clause is referring to -- there's much bigger alterations to certain aspects of Sonic Jam to which this applies). We don't track Special Stages for Sonic 3D Blast because they differ between versions.
--- End quote ---

From what I've heard that's because the versions of the game that have those glitches are fairly rare. Not tracking stages that are completely different between versions makes sense. Neither of these are the case with any of the glitches in su360; it's just a glitch that existed in the original release, that was removed later, which essentially makes it no different than a version difference; just easier because everyone has access to both versions.

--- Quote ---A funny exception to the rules is Sonic 1 8-bit: there are different level layouts between the versions of the game, and we track them both on the same charts.
--- End quote ---

Which we probably shouldn't.

--- Quote ---If you want to try to equate patched and unpatched to different versions of the game, then I reserve the right to submit to Sonic 1 charts using Sonic Genesis for Game Boy Advance, in the Original Mode that does not contain the Spin Dash.
--- End quote ---

I don't see where you're getting that you should be able to submit times from a heavily glitched completely bastardized version of a game that plays nothing like the original because we're not banning a glitch in su360.

Thorn:

--- Quote from: Paraxade on June 14, 2009, 07:20:51 pm ---In areas with tons of enemies like WI1-3 you can easily rack up a 200-300 combo even with maxed strength. I wouldn't be surprised if you could hit 1000+ without trying there if you don't have strength leveled at all. You'd still be forced to spam to reach a cap in any case.

Another thing is that considering all the levels vary greatly in terms of length and number of enemies, a cap would have to be on a level-by-level basis.

--- End quote ---

This is confusing: how does the debate over the ability to spam respawning enemies have anything to do with the amount of normal enemies in an area? I don't know anywhere in the game where the game throws hoardes of respawning enemies at you that you can accidentally combo, save maybe an area near the end of Eggmanland (and this would obiously be a case of combo spam --  the enemies in said area give zero points for defeating them), and of course comboing enemies that exist a finite amount of times is a perfectly legal strat.

--- Quote from: Paraxade on June 14, 2009, 07:20:51 pm ---
--- Quote ---If you want to try to equate patched and unpatched to different versions of the game, then I reserve the right to submit to Sonic 1 charts using Sonic Genesis for Game Boy Advance, in the Original Mode that does not contain the Spin Dash.
--- End quote ---

I don't see where you're getting that you should be able to submit times from a heavily glitched completely bastardized version of a game that plays nothing like the original because we're not banning a glitch in su360.
--- End quote ---

It's not the matter of "banning a glitch" that I'm pursuing -- it's the matter of treating the patch for it as a different version of the game. Despite the blatant... horribleness, everything else about it fits all of TSC's rules -- both the explicitly stated ones and the "well you should just know that's a rule" ones.

On the subject of Sonic & Knuckles Collection and the two disc versions of Sonic 3D Blast being "rare": a quick Google search for those three games revealed downloads for all of them, and Saturn emulation on PCs has gotten to the point that it can be run at full speed.

EDIT: Also Zeupar, if you're still reading this topic, put up the damned Rivals 2 rule already. It's been months. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version