Sonic Central > Rules Revisions

S3K glitch question

<< < (2/3) > >>

Thorn:

--- Quote from: Muzozavr ---Fine then, question number 2: is it sufficent to get the "act clear" message or do you need to be able to get to the next level?
--- End quote ---

Not only do you need to be able to get to the next level, the game has to send you there automatically for a stat to count.

yse:
Funnily enough, we've just been discussing similar things on the rules committee.

Launch Base isn't clearly covered by the rules, but I suppose since it's impossible to complete the level from a Knuckles act 2 start, it'd be covered by my new rule saying you must progress to the next level. But if it ever became possible, then we would have a situation.

Muzozavr:
Fine then, is your stat for act 2 valid if the game displays it as act 1?
If you do the Knuckles's boss trick in Launch Base 1, and then die at the score tally, you start act 2 from Sonic's start but it displays as act 1.
(If you'll mention about starting act 2 from the wrong location: Knuckles's boss IS the end of act 1, nobody said it's got to be the right end out of two)

Because then, if you kill Knux's boss with Tails you WILL get to Mushroom Hill.

And also another question: is your stat for act 2 valid, if you somehow manage to move before the timer starts, during the "Act 1 clear" message? It was done in TAS for Mushroom Hill, and since it doesn't RESET the timer, but rather you start before it starts, so...

yse:

--- Quote from: Muzozavr on July 09, 2008, 03:43:29 am ---Fine then, is your stat for act 2 valid if the game displays it as act 1?
If you do the Knuckles's boss trick in Launch Base 1, and then die at the score tally, you start act 2 from Sonic's start but it displays as act 1.
--- End quote ---

No, nor is what the game treats as "act 2" acceptable for act 2. Whether or not playing act 2 is permissible for act 1 is subject to debate, but I'd say it's not.

--- Quote from: Muzozavr on July 09, 2008, 03:43:29 am ---(If you'll mention about starting act 2 from the wrong location: Knuckles's boss IS the end of act 1, nobody said it's got to be the right end out of two)
--- End quote ---

Indeed, you'll find that starting in Sonic's area with Knuckles is permissible in Ice Cap 2.

--- Quote from: Muzozavr on July 09, 2008, 03:43:29 am ---And also another question: is your stat for act 2 valid, if you somehow manage to move before the timer starts, during the "Act 1 clear" message? It was done in TAS for Mushroom Hill, and since it doesn't RESET the timer, but rather you start before it starts, so...

--- End quote ---

Another one that's subject to debate. I can't see it ever happening in real time, but if it did I would be inclined to allow it (because let's face it, good luck having control while you can't see what's going on).

Muzozavr:
In a level that is not Ice Cap, since the boss hop was specifically disallowed there, is it permissible (if possible at all) to:

1) Skip the act 1 boss.
2) Change act 2 in a way benefical to you. (Like open a certain door)
3) Skip the boss boundary BACKWARDS. (I don't know if it's actually possible anywhere in the game, but it's a theoretical question anyway)
4) Fight the act 1 boss.
5) Enter act 2, pre-modified for your pleasure.

Where to draw the line for pre-level modification? The mind boggles...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version