Sonic Central > Rules Revisions

S3K glitch question

(1/3) > >>

Muzozavr:
There are some particular glitches which either "shift" the beginning of the act to a later part (well, that could be considered resetting time to zero) or make the game think that you have completed an act while, in reality, you haven't.

Examples:
The former -- Play Ice Cap 1 as Knux. Reach the boss without hitting any checkpoints. Die from the boss. The act will restart directly from the boss fight and you can easily get a small time.

The latter -- Launch Base 1:
1) Take an elevator. You need one particular, but I don't remember which, I saw it in a video anyway.
2) Either take damage or turn super while inside the elevator. You'll maintain control.
3) Spindash a few times to pause the camera. The elevator will unload and you'll be stuck in a wall.
4) Zip to the right. If you took the correct elevator you'll be able to reach Knuckles's boss area. Now, he has TWO guys to fight, right? Sonic, however, normally has only one.
5) Hit both of the bosses 7 times.
6) Kill one of them.
7) Wait for the game to give you "act 1 completed" message".
8) As soon as you regain control, kill the other boss.
9) The game will credit you for completing "act 2" under 2-3 seconds.

Are such actions allowed? I certainly hope not, cause if they are, such bugs will utterly destroy any competition on the levels vulnerable to them.

Groudon:
So you basically get the timer to reset mid-level?  If so (most likely at least the first), the rules forbid it.

--- Quote from: rules ---Using any method to reset the timer to zero in the middle of a level is not allowed.

--- End quote ---

Waxwings:
"You may start any zone's Act 2 from the end of Act 1 or from selecting Act 2 in stage select, but from nowhere else."

That clause is what you're looking for.

SadisticMystic:

--- Quote from: Muzozavr on July 08, 2008, 07:46:54 pm ---5) Hit both of the bosses 7 times.

--- End quote ---

You mean 5 times, as act-1 bosses require only 6 hits.

In any case, yes, those both fall under illegal modification of the start position. Icecap 2 has a similar trick by flat-out skipping the act 1 boss and playing against the act 2 boss as though it were still act 1: capsule hit gives act 1 clear, and you start act 2 just a spindash away from advancement to Launch Base without even a clear screen.

Muzozavr:

--- Quote from: Waxwings on July 08, 2008, 07:56:47 pm ---"You may start any zone's Act 2 from the end of Act 1 or from selecting Act 2 in stage select, but from nowhere else."

That clause is what you're looking for.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, now I know.

--- Quote from: SadisticMystic on July 08, 2008, 08:00:24 pm ---You mean 5 times, as act-1 bosses require only 6 hits.

--- End quote ---

Oops, sorry.

--- Quote from: SadisticMystic on July 08, 2008, 08:00:24 pm ---Icecap 2 has a similar trick by flat-out skipping the act 1 boss and playing against the act 2 boss as though it were still act 1.

--- End quote ---

As the TAS demonstrates, the same can be done in Marble Garden.

Fine then, question number 2: is it sufficent to get the "act clear" message or do you need to be able to get to the next level?

Launch Base 2 has a trick that allows you to access Knuckles's boss as Tails (I think, the vid used Sonic+Tails for flight) but when you get the cutscene... the game never, ever, goes onto the next level.
Not that getting to Knuckles's boss is any quicker. (In fact, I don't know)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version